The Kelly-Griggs House Museum Association became a non-profit organization for education in June of 1965 after a group of prominent citizens learned that elderly Miss Anne Kelly was selling her house.

The house was built in the early 1880s by Sidney A. Griggs, an early 49er turned prosperous sheep rancher. The large residence became the new home of his bride Melvina and two stepsons in 1885.

In 1931, Miss Kelly’s family–also pioneers and ranchers–purchased the home. They made some modifications after a fire in the parlor and added to the back of the structure.

In 1965, thanks to the AAUW, local newspaper and the efforts and generosity of hundreds of people far and wide, the Museum Association opened the house for tours in 1969 after four years of restoration.

The house museum presented much as it would have in Victorian times. Aside from monetary contributions, local families donated valuable antiques, pioneer portraits and art to furnish the rooms: this included beautiful artifacts used by Native Americans from north state tribes.

To pay off the mortgage, the Association held bridge luncheons and the very popular annual revue; achieved in 1976. Today, the Association works with supporters and volunteers striving to repair, restore and preserve this Red Bluff treasure for future generations of visitors, most especially students.